Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 2: A Tour, An Ice cream, & a Swim



What more do you need to make a day complete? Some may say more, but not this group of 23.  I am sure we would all like to be watching the new episode of Project Runway that came on tonight. (I only know that because my wife is an avid fan…no seriously…I promise) However, this team has embraced life in Nicaragua with cold showers, dirty feet, and the gnats that seem to be nature’s way of annoying us.

Today truly was a great day to mark our first full day in the country. We started off with a delicious meal of eggs, bacon, and fresh fruit. (Ok so it’s not that primitive) We then got together for our tour of the orphanage complex and the local school. After disrupting classes by touring the school, (I am sure the kids didn’t mind) we headed out into the local village of Vera Cruz where the orphanage is located. This is always such an amazing experience for the group because it gives us a chance to see what it might have been like for Jesus and his crowd to walk into a town. Along with our peach colored skin, and our blonde hair, our clothes and cameras help us to stick out like sore thumbs. This displacement from our normalcy invites kids and families from the dust covered streets to come out, greet us, and join us for a leisurely stroll through town. We had the chance to meet and love on many strangers today who may have tagged along for the ice cream we bought them or candy that we passed out but I think many may have done the same 2000 years ago. All in all, we grew as a team and people in a small town of Nicaragua knew they were cared for and not forgotten by the world around them.

After a great experience in town, we headed to the local pool with all of the kids from the orphanage. This trip provided us the time to play with and get to know the kids that Spring Branch has committed to serving through their support of ORPHANetwork. We have such a great opportunity as a church to work with the same group of kids, at the same orphanage, in the same country year after year. This type of relationship truly cultivates community and the ability for relationships to grow through barriers such as distance and language.I often see this trip as a family reunion. I make this analogy because I often only see some of my family once a year, if that, and I know what kind of great relationships I am able to have with them. If that is possible, these relationships not only stand a chance, they are real and active. You would be very proud of your students as they jumped right in to making real connections with the kids here at Casa Bernabe.

We finished off the afternoon with a quick stop for ice cream and enjoyed it at a park nearby. It was fun watching Dare and Jordan try to figure out the see-saw as the kids were significantly lighter than them and to see our students holding hands to get on the bus despite the sticky, ice-cream covered fingers.

 

Tonight during our porch-time, a time we take each night to process the days events, we discussed James 2:14-17 and how the God of this universe calls us all to live out our faith in Him on a daily basis through the way we “…as Christians, are to take responsibility for the irresponsibility of others.” (Peppermint-Filled Piñatas ~ Eric Michael Bryant) It was exciting to hear many of your students, when asked “Where do you see people taking responsibility for the irresponsibility of others?” answering with the names of their parents; you! I want to end this day’s blog by thanking you, parents, for having the courage and trust in myself and our leadership team to send your children, your precious children, to a foreign country to experience God in such a life changing way. It is obvious the influence you have on your children’s lives and I promise you, they miss you. Keep the comments coming as they are greeted with excitement and laughter.

Much Love from Nicaragua,

Kevin

10 comments:

JOHN said...

JORDAN;LOOKS LIKE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT DAY 2.MORE AND MORE PEOPLE ARE BEGINNING TO FOLLOW ALL OF YOU ONLINE.YOU MAY HEAR FROM SOME PEOPLE WHO KNOW A LOT ABOUT YOU THAT YOU MAY NOT REMEMBER OR EVEN KNOW.KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND STAY SAFE.
LOVE ,
DAD

Sea Ray said...

Hey Kevin, Leslie, and Team! -

It gives me such pleasure to be able to read about all the things you all are doing down in Nicaragua. I've been praying for you guys and we remembered you at 702 on Tuesday! I so wish I could be down there with you guys, but I am so glad that so many of you will get to experience all that this beautiful country and these beautiful people have to offer you for the first time. You all are truly blessed to be given the opportunity to love on these kids.

I've got some Bible verses for you to remind you of God's love for the poor, feel free to read whenever:
Deuteronomy 10:17-19
Matthew 25:31-40

You all are so blessed by God, and I just pray that each of you finds him in a moment, in a face, in a hug. If you seek Him, He will meet you.

I feel a U2 lyric coming on:

"And what are we to do?
What in the world are we to say?
There's nothing else to do.
He says he'll chance the world someday.
I rejoice ...

And what am I to do?
Just tell me what am I supposed to say?
I can't change the world,
But I can change the world in me.
I rejoice."

Rejoice and know that God is making great changes in this world and in you. Can't wait to hear all the stories when you get home. In the meantime, be safe, have fun, spread God's love, and accept God's love!

Love to you all!

Catie Serex

Jonathan Walter said...

Rachel,
wow sounds like your having fun and really being able to reach the kids, which i know you love:)
I will continue praying for your safety:)
love,
Jonathan

Eric Bryant said...

Thanks for all you are doing there! Keep up the great work!

Susan said...

Hi Jordan,
Thoroughly enjoyed the post from day 2.......I've got the vision of the see-saw incident in my head and it keeps bringing a smile to my face :0) I know today's adventures will bring new stories- thank you so much Kevin & Leslie for making us feel "close"!!

Nana & Papa send their love and Hailey misses you SO MUCH!!

Love,
Mom

newcastle hotel said...

Hi Megan, been thinking about you all day, so glad to see your pictures, we all miss you but know you are having an awesome time. sending love to you and all your team, mom

courtney said...

Hey Jordano,
We asked our mom if we could move to the beach so we could go to your church....lol
Looks like you are having a blast!
You guys are lucky!
Have fun!
Love,
Bryson and Jacob

kidwell said...

We pray that ya'll have amazing experiences... We pray that God reveals his amazing love and beauty to you... and that you see the hand of God reaching to you and to the community, pulling you all closer to him.
Amber & Matt


By the way, Kevin and Leslie... just drop me an email about the registration that I need to drop off tomorrow - just wanted to make sure I should still deliver it!

Susan said...

Hi Rachel,

I hope you are having fun. I know you are touching many lives by showing people you care.

Love,
Aunt Susan

Thoma family said...

Hi Katie! It is so amazing to see and hear about your daily events!! Thanks to everyone who is contributing and making memories that will be cherished forever. You all are in our prayers and we send our love to you and the team!!
love Dad and Sharon